Vodafone India has announced that it has become the first operator in Kolkata to pilot launch the Aadhaar based e-KYC solution. e-KYC solution is an instant, secure and green mobile subscriber verification project, where a customer’s Aadhaar card and fingerprints is adequate for both validating and activating new prepaid and post-paid connections.
This paperless activation process as per Department of Telecom (DoT)’s directive has the following five simple steps:-
1. Customer brings his Aadhaar card to the Vodafone Store and provides fingerprints to get a new mobile connection.
2. Basis the details in the Aadhaar card, e-KYC data of customer would be downloaded from UIDAI server.
3. After positive authentication is done, the retailer receives the soft copy (PDF) of the e-CAF(Customer Application Form) for customer acknowledgement.
4. Customer checks the e-CAF and acknowledges through Biometric authentication.
5. Post customer acknowledgement, activation request is sent by operator POS (Point of Sale).
The advantage of the e-KYC solution is manifold with all stakeholders – customers, operators and regulators benefitting from it. For the consumer instant activation means a better experience and security of his personal confidential information. For Vodafone it substantially reduces the cost per activation, improved quality of sales as well as regulatory compliance. For the regulator it not only means a green initiative but also hassle free governance and accurate audit results.
"The Department of Telecommunications has chosen Vodafone India to lead the way for launching an instant, safe and secure e-KYC authentication service in Kolkata. We are happy to partner the government in this efficient use of technology for the benefit of the customers and are extending all possible help to make this roll out a success,” said P Balaji, Director, Regulatory and External Affairs, Vodafone India.
“Vodafone India has always been at the forefront of technological innovation and adoption in the telecom industry and it is always our endeavour to work as per government set goals and to find innovative ways and means to provide a quality experience to our valued customers. We are first off the block to launch the pilot of the e-KYC solution for our customers in Kolkata which will ensure that they can now ‘Walk out Talking’ from any Vodafone Store within minutes. We will work with Department of Telecommunications to make this pilot project a success,” said Anand Sahai -Business Head, Kolkata and West Bengal.
This service is available across 21 Vodafone Stores in Kolkata and gradually will be expanded to Vodafone Mini Stores also.