According to the 11th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) forecast, Internet Protocol (IP) traffic will quadruple, year-on-year between 2015 and 2020. India's Internet traffic in 2020 will be equivalent to 12 billion DVDs per year, 1 billion DVDs per month, or 1 million DVDs per hour. The Indian digitization transformation, based on the adoption of personal devices and deployment of machine-to-machine (M2M) connections will have a greater impact on traffic growth.
Over the next five years, in India, there will be 1.9 billion networked devices, up from 1.3 billion in 2015, faster broadband speeds (average fixed broadband speed to increase 2.5-fold from 2015 to 2020 – from 5.1 Mbps to 12.9 Mbps) and the increased consumption of video. Collectively, these variables are expected to help IP traffic in India to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 34 percent – as against a corresponding global CAGR of 22 percent.
“India finds itself in the middle of a digital revolution and, by 2020 Internet traffic will be equivalent to 249x the volume of the traffic in 2005, growing at a compound annual growth rate of 33% y-o-y. Much of this growth will be fueled by massive consumer adoption of personal devices and use of machine-to-machine connections. The continued increase of mobile data traffic, networked devices and M2M connections will impact healthcare, agriculture, manufacturing, retail, transportation and other key industries, substantially, as the next decade dawns. Considering this, network architecture must be programmed to meet the requisite demands and manage the data volume. Deploying advanced network infrastructure requires a next-gen approach to withstand the digital vortex,” said Sanjay Kaul, Managing Director, Service Provider Business, Cisco India & SAARC.
Video services and content continue to be the dominant leader compared with all other applications. In India, total Internet video traffic (business and consumer, combined will be 75% of all Internet traffic in 2020, up from 51% in 2015.
Key India Findings:
• Indian Internet traffic in 2020 will be equivalent to 249x the volume of the entire Indian Internet in 2005
• In India, IP traffic will grow 4-fold from 2015 to 2020, a compound annual growth of 33%
• In India, Internet traffic will grow 4.4 fold from 2015 to 2020, a compound annual growth of 34%
• In India, mobile data traffic will grow 12-fold from 2015 to 2020, a compound annual growth of 63%
• India’s Fixed-Wifi was 38% of total IP traffic in 2015, and will be 34% of total IP traffic in 2020
• In India, IP video traffic will grow 5-fold from 2015 to 2020, a compound annual growth rate of 40%
• In India, Internet video traffic will grow 6-fold from 2015 to 2020, a compound annual growth rate of 45%
• In India, there will be 1.9 billion networked devices in 2020, up from 1.3 billion in 2015
• In India, the average fixed broadband speed will grow 2.5-fold from 2015 to 2020, from 5.1 Mbps to 12.9 Mbps
• In India, the average Wi-Fi speeds from mobile devices will grow 2.2-fold from 2015 to 2020, from 3.3 Mbps to 7 Mbps.
• In India, the average Internet user will generate 6.1 gigabytes per month in 2015, up 21% from 5.0 gigabytes per month in 2014.