The Supreme Court on Thursday asked the CBI, Enforcement Directorate and the government to file a reply within 10 days on Prashant Bhusan’s plea that the CBI has not yet taken any action-n against Dayanidhi Maran in the 2G scam case where CBI filed an FIR against him on October 10, 2011.
A bench of Justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly on Thursday issued notices. Next hearing will be held on January 20. It is expected that the CBI may also file its status report on Maran by then.
In the court proceedings today, Bhushan started arguments saying that no action has yet been taken against Maran.
In his petition, Bhusan said that the CBI had investigated the matter related to corruption and misuse of official position by Maran when he was Telecom Minister. Over 4-5 months of investigations, the CBI found the involvement of seven persons/entities.
The CBI then filed an FIR on October 9, 2011 and searched the premises of the accused on October 10, 2011. Since then over two months have passed, the CBI is deliberately going slow in the case and has not made any arrests in the case, said Bhushan.
“Petitioners submit that this was the most clear-cut case of corruption and quid pro quo, and is being made weak by the CBI. Chargesheet should have been filed in this case several months back.”
Bhushan also said that the CBI’s decision not to book Essar Group and its promoters under the Prevention of Corruption Act was due to intervention of CBI Director and Law Minister Salman Khurshid.
The Supreme Court also sought response from CBI and ED on this issue.